Saturday, April 22, 2006

revolutionary

The landscape rolling by my train window has transformed from the urban congregations to distant misty mountains and nearby cliffs, winding rivers, rice paddies, ox and cymbal-hat-wearing farmers.

In a city where one has nothing to do, Kunming is modern'ish, has plenty of western touches, and sits at a higher altitude than most of Australia - 1,890 metres !

I checked in to a hotel near the station. Also checking in, Shouko, a Japanese girl from Osaka, mentioned that the showers were dirty. At first I was shocked to meet a Japanese traveler in China, especially so far from the east coast business cities (like Shanghai). Next I realized how long I hadn't spoken any Japanese and how quickly I am losing the language basics! Finally I was shocked in the bathroom; not just at the fact that it was co-ed and lacking a door, but the common trough that I began shaving over is the exact same sink used by the kitchen staff to wash the dishes - mental note to self: do not eat in this hotel's restaurant!

bikes and flowers - unusual mixIt's a sunny beautiful day. Shade and cleaner air courtesy of the trees lining the footpaths make for pleasant walking. I wandered into a restaurant / bar named Sakura - good idea since I missed hanami in Hiroshima. Full of cheery rasta colours; Enya, Deep Forest and other enjoyable music; revolutionary characters (Cuba's Che Guevara, Russia's Lenin, China's Mao); wood decor and soft couches Wow! I am quite suspicious that I am their only customer...

best pizza I've ever eatenFurther tempting fate, I ordered a meat lover's pizza and an iced coffee. The iced coffee wasn't; it was pretty lame in fact. On the other hand, this pizza supersedes any I've ever had! After my 3 complete failure attempts in Japan, I was about to give up on pizza in Asia altogether. I could comfortably sit here all afternoon, but I should sort my onward travel. You can even order lamb chops from New Zealand here!

No comments: