Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ending of Sleepless in Brunswick

My Japanese housemate flew home to Tokyo this morning. Not much of a "Sayonara"... Coincidently it was only yesterday I found out my own flight (1 month away) will be landing in Osaka. Of course I have already been in training for life in Japan : I have to admit though, the most obvious language teacher and I haven't exactly talked very much for months - I can't even begin to understand how this has been possible, to share a house with someone who doesn't speak to me at all.

I learned at a pre-departure seminar yesterday, perhaps all too late, that the expression on the face of a Japanese person can be identical for all the emotions we might expect.



Now I look forward to the million challenges of my own misunderstandings of Japanese culture.

No comments: